Grammar (Grammaire) unit 10 Eating out (Les repas)

alking about food and eating out

J'ai faim
Vous voulez manger quoi ?
Je préfère le filet de boeuf
Moi aussi

To find out what someone would like to eat, use the question
Qu'est-ce que vous voulez manger ?
or more chattily,
vous voulez manger quoi ?
Voulez is from the verb vouloir (to want) and the form for "I want" is je veux. But, just as in English, it's more polite to say je voudrais (I would like).

To ask what someone else prefers and say what you prefer, use the verb préférer. It's regular, apart from a change of accents, which alters the pronunciation, of course.

Vous préférez la soupe ou le pâté ?
Je préfère la soupe

There are several conversational expressions to show that you agree with a suggestion:
moi aussi
me too
pourquoi pas ?
why not?
ça m'est égal
I don't mind

I'm hungry is j'ai faim. J'ai is from the verb avoir (to have), so what you are saying literally in French is 'I have hunger'. It's one of a number of common expressions using avoir in this way: j'ai soif (I'm thirsty) j'ai froid/chaud ( I'm hot/ cold)
Qu'est-ce qu'il y a à la carte ?
What's on the menu?
Vous préférez quel plat ?
What dish do you prefer?
Il y a plusieurs menus.
There are several set menus.
Des kebabs à emporter.
Kebabs to take away.

0 yorum:

Yorum Gönder